Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The state of public H20


I have been saving this for a rainy day...to remind me of the summer that once was. It seems so long ago that I wore flip flops to ride my bicycle to the pool , I have been wearing socks and boots for weeks now (ok maybe only one but it seems like forever).



I must admit that I wasn't too enthusiastic about going to a public pool, but considering the other option (I will get to that one later) I had no choice when the barometer hit 30°C and M. needs to cool down.








Maybe it's the memory of my childhood summers spent in the pools back in Montreal, all that cement, with wobs of gum stuck to it, the screaming kids from summer camp, no room to run, the chlorine, the lack of shade. Well, I was very happy to find out that, here pools are the main attraction in the park! That is to say, they are not chainlinked into a park area, but are included in the landscape and the greenery defines the limits, the kids' playground, the lawn, the snack bar, WC are all included inside.


There are various outdoor pools located in the city, and are easily accessible by public transport too. They are all equipped with a children's wading pool and with lots of 'perks' to entertain them (slides,fountains,spurts,wheels etc), a middle sized pool for the waders and a big sized pool for the serious swimmers.



And I must mention that one pool even had their winter ice rink converted into a beach - filled with sand, bathers got the impression they were far away on some tropical island!

I must get the babysitter and look into the indoor pools, they also come equipped with saunas!

1 comment:

anna said...

Ps. I forgot to mention that it only costs 3.50€ per adult for the whole day!!!!