Friday, November 12, 2010

St. Martin

We have homework! The 1st assignment for the kindergarten, collect 10-15 leaves and press them in a book. Once again, I was only told the day before, but I decide to do it with M. and soon realize that all the leaves she picks up are either dirty, torn, or defected. I am already thinking of final result, the perfect paper lantern for Nov. 11.




November 11,is the feast day of St. Martin of Tours. He started out as a Roman soldier was baptized as an adult and became a monk. It is understood that he was a kind man who led a quiet and simple life. The most famous legend of his life is that he once cut his cloak in half to share with a beggar during a snowstorm, to save the beggar from dying of the cold.

A fresco of San Martin de Tours by Simone Martini

So on Feast of St. Martin, Martinstag or Martinmas, children in Germany participate in paper lantern processions. Often, a man dressed as St. Martin rides on a horse in front of the procession. The children sing songs about St. Martin and about their lanterns. The food traditionally eaten on the day is goose. According to legend, Martin was reluctant to become bishop, which is why he hid in a stable filled with geese. The noise made by the geese betrayed his location to the people who were looking for him.









The processional 'train' ends with a little feast of sweets (biscuits and fruit) and of course Glühwein (Mulled wine) to keep us warm, yum!

In Italy, the saint day was associated to the new wine. My mom told me of a saying in her dialect:"si prova (u vin) e si pilla". (you try the wine and tap it). So tonight, in honour of our new tradition (my mom also says "paese che vai, usanza che trovi" the country you go to, the customs you find ) and thanks to my friend D, I tried out this recipe .... what can I say, I couldn't find a goose!

No comments: